Headington United were formed in 1893, fielding a variety of amateur teams who played on different days of the week. With black and white photographs it is difficult to accurately depict the kit colours, however, there are numerous team sheets and programme notes which state "Orange and Navy".
The first three decades of the 20th century saw the club wearing a variety of different styles of striped shirts. The Great War paused the progress of the club, until football was reinstated in 1919.
By the mid 1930's, Headington United had stopped wearing stripes.
They continued to climb the football pyramid, however the outbreak of World War II again halted progress. This time, the war time fixtures continued, however the club were forced to field youth sides.
Headington United turned professional in 1949, when they were voted into the Southern League (Fifth Tier).
From 1950, the orange/navy was replaced with old gold shirts and black shorts.
The club continued to develop into a serious player within the football world. The team enjoyed some memorable cup success against established league clubs.
The clubs Manor Ground saw significant building work as attendances continued to grow.
With an ever increasing profile within the professional game, the club was renamed Oxford United in 1960.